A Call to Action for Soil Health
To make progress on some of the world’s most pressing challenges such as food security, nutrition, climate change and inclusive economic opportunity we must look at soil as a vital asset.
The Call to Action for Soil Health -- issued in July 2021 by the Private Sector Guiding Group Coalition for Soil Health -- is inspired by these challenges and the UN Food Systems Summit.
The call to action emphasizes the need to translate science into action and support farmers, especially small landholders, as agents of change.
It is a commitment by a broad coalition to pursue, promote and expand science-based tools and design financial mechanisms to empower farmers and help amplify farmer-led sustainability efforts.
IFA is proud to be a facilitator and supporter of the coalition, which so far includes agricultural input companies, food companies, financial institutions and other organizations.
Supporters of the call to action are making commitments that include:
- Defining investment solutions that can support farmers as they adopt better soil management practices.
- Designing new business models.
- Supporting the development of voluntary and transparent carbon market and pricing mechanisms that benefit farmers.
- Using science-based tools.
- Growing public-private soils health stewardship programs
Read the PSGG Coalition for Soil Health Call to Action for Soil Health.
Call to Action for Soil Health