While agriculture contributes significantly to conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity, it is also a major driver of biodiversity loss.
IFA Youtube Channel
Agriculture has to face two main challenges in relation with biodiversity:
- to sustain agricultural biodiversity and ecosystem services provided by, and necessary for, agriculture, and
- to mitigate the negative impacts of agricultural systems and practices on biodiversity
The major challenge for agriculture is to ensure:
- food security
- adequate nutrition
- stable livelihoods for all, now and in the future
by increasing food production while adopting sustainable and efficient agriculture, sustainable consumption of resources, and landscape-level planning to ensure the preservation of biodiversity.
The fertilizer industry can:
• Contribute to increasing yields on existing arable land preserving further encroachment on wild habitats
• Reduce the negative impact of inappropriate fertilizer use by disseminating best practices
Fertilizer Best Management Practices (FBMP)